Looking for more traffic for your site? Who isn't? In this episode, I talk about the power of browser push notifications — those little browser alerts that entice you to click – and how to use them. All this and more on the Late Night Internet Marketing Podcast.
Setting up web notifications means you have to set up prompts asking your visitors to accept notifications from your website. I never really thought about using web push notifications for the latenightim.com because personally, I don’t like interruptions so I usually say no. But I decided to try it out and turn this on and I’m happy to see that a lot of people are opting in to be notified.
What does that mean? I basically use a tool where I can send a message to those users who opted in and that will pop up in their browser. I intend to use this for an intelligent purpose such as notifying people of a new podcast episode. If they click that notification, it will take them right to the blog post where they can play the episode. Pretty cool. This is also helpful because there are people who listen to the podcast regularly but aren't subscribed to a podcasting tool.
These push notifications are easy to install. There is a plugin in WordPress that you can use and there are services out there that you can employ to get this going.
Some things you should consider if you decide to try this out:
- Don't fall into the trap of assuming that you know what people are going to do though so you must test things.
- Pay attention to is the copy that you write in these push notifications – keep it short and to the point. Your purpose is to get your subscribers to click on the notification and that means you've got to be clear and communicate value. Scarcity and urgency are great here as well.
- Be mindful of time zones. Schedule these notifications accordingly so your users do not get annoyed.
- Adjust the frequency of your push notifications as too much may cause your users to opt-out.
- Segmentation is something you should consider so only send notifications that matter to a certain group.
Links Mentioned In This Episode
Help Me Help You Succeed Online
The more I hear from you about your struggles, trials and tribulations, the more I can help. So, be sure to leave comments on this post to reach out to me on Twitter or in the Late Night Internet Marketing Private Facebook Group
Tell Me What You Think
I'd love to hear what you think about the podcast. Better yet, Id love to answer your question about Internet marketing on the show. Just drop me a line here on the blog or on the digital recorder at 214-444-8655. Dont worry, there are no stupid questions. Unless you tell me not to, when you ask a question or leave a comment might even use it on the show.
Help Me Help Others
Thanks so much for your reviews on iTunes. We get a ton of exposure from iTunes, and we really appreciate the reviews there. At last count, we were over 100 reviews worldwide and counting. Reviews help us get new listeners — so I really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review on iTunes (link).
Get The Episode Transcript
Interested in the transcript of this episode when it's ready? Transcripts are available to all of my subscribers. You can find them along with all the other episode transcripts and special bonus content in the Late Night Internet Marketing Podcast Vault (sounds mysterious, doesn't it?)