Looking for more traffic for your site? How about more email subscribers? Who isn't? In fact, email subscribers can have a lot to do with your traffic — so how do we increase the number of our email subscribers?
In this episode, I talk about the power of exit intent popups — those sometimes annoying popups that you see just before you leave a site — and how to use them. All this and more on the Late Night Internet Marketing Podcast.
It is cheaper to acquire a repeat visitor than a first timer. If you are acquiring visitors for the first time, you are likely acquiring them with ads or spending a lot building organic traffic. Once you got them though, it’s pretty cheap to keep them and this is where your email strategy is important.
So how can we get more of these visitors in our email list? I have recently been experimenting with exit intent pop-ups. These are pop ups when a visitor is about to leave the site entirely, a last-ditch attempt to capture the subscriber.
There are multiple tools to set this up, but the question is, what do you want to say in this pop up?
- Make a compelling offer on the pop-up that will cause them to opt in or take some other action.
- If you have an e-commerce site, your goal with the exit pop-up might be to get them to take a purchasing action before they leave. Entice them to make a purchase right there on that page before they go through coupons, for example, that’s just valid for today or before they go. This means you can get full price from people that aren't leaving the site and you can reserve the lower margin sale price for someone who was going to leave anyway — that's just money that was going to leave the site.
- If you're not on an e-commerce site, your goal may be capturing that person's email before they leave. The best way to do that, in general, is with a lead magnet. Offer a free course, a free download, something they can't live without and incredibly valuable content before the exit.
- How can you make these convert better?
- A pretty sophisticated thing to do is personalize the message with their names if you have the technology to enable you to do this.
- You can offer content upgrades, like bonuses, and make the exit intent pop-up beautiful. If you're offering a download, have something that looks like an infographic or a picture of the download that will really entice them.
- Know your buyers’ primary objections and handle that objection right there on the page as well.
- Create scarcity and urgency.
- Do a little pivot such as offering a quiz.
- Do something that interrupts behaviour, like an unexpected image — something that can make them laugh, for example.
Links Mentioned In This Episode
- Subscribe in iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher or Spotify
Help Me Help You Succeed Online
The more I hear from you about your struggles, trials and tribulations, the more I can help. So, be sure to leave comments on this post to reach out to me on Twitter or in the Late Night Internet Marketing Private Facebook Group
Tell Me What You Think
I'd love to hear what you think about the podcast. Better yet, Id love to answer your question about Internet marketing on the show. Just drop me a line here on the blog or on the digital recorder at 214-444-8655. Dont worry, there are no stupid questions. Unless you tell me not to, when you ask a question or leave a comment might even use it on the show.
Help Me Help Others
Thanks so much for your reviews on iTunes. We get a ton of exposure from iTunes, and we really appreciate the reviews there. At last count, we were over 100 reviews worldwide and counting. Reviews help us get new listeners — so I really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review on iTunes (link).
Get The Episode Transcript
Interested in the transcript of this episode when it's ready? Transcripts are available to all of my subscribers. You can find them along with all the other episode transcripts and special bonus content in the Late Night Internet Marketing Podcast Vault (sounds mysterious, doesn't it?)