Struggling to find time to work on your side hustle? In this episode, I present 17 proven time management hacks for all of you side hustlers out there. This episode is part two of the content that I promised from the main stage at FlynnCon in July. We also spend a moment on Pat’s new book, Superfans. All this and more on the Late Night Internet Marketing Podcast.
- Know exactly what you want to do – Determine the three most important things that you need to get done tomorrow before you hit the sack. These should not be 20 minutes long and make sure you get them done that next day.
- Make appointments with yourself – Use a calendar (Outlook, Google Calendar, iCloud) so you can set aside time to do these tasks. Make those appointments and if something happens, reschedule it but don’t blow it altogether. Have integrity in your time that you reserve for yourself.
- Do the hardest task first – Do the hard stuff that you tend to procrastinate on, and you will feel so good when you can check that off.
- Have a system – Maybe your system is a software, Michael Hyatt’s Full Focus planner or a tool like Asana — whatever it is, have a system, but don’t let the system use you. Don’t become a slave to your system, spending all your time keeping it updated, for example.
- Choose to say ‘no’ – The amount of time that you have in a day is finite. Pick something to say ‘no’ to and use that freed up time to say ‘yes’ to something in your business.
- Do a weekly review – Ask these simple questions:
- What was great about this week? What are some things that you’re really proud? Celebrate these wins.
- What didn’t go well? What are you going to do to change that? Plan improvements.
- What are the three big things that I want to accomplish next week?
- Pick something that’s not adding actual value in your life and cease it for the meantime, to generate a little more margin or a little more time for you to work on your business.
- Do not multitask – Get on a task one at a time. You can set up a timer and not allow yourself to be distracted until that time runs out.
- Stay organized – Have everything you need for the task before you start it. It will increase your efficiency and will keep you from being frustrated.
- Get your family’s buy-in – Share your hopes, dreams and goals with your loved ones. That little bit of extra communication creates inclusion and you will be surprised at the support that might come out of it.
- Do things to stay motivated – it can be setting a reward for yourself, a vision board, meditating or a quote.
- Work in weird places – Keep your business top of mind even in places such as trains or waiting in line. When you present your conscious mind with problems, your subconscious mind is going to offer solutions.
- Delegate – Find something to delegate to your kids, to your VA and use that free time to work on one of your most important tasks.
- Avoid perfection – Perfection sometimes paralyzes you that you just never get the thing done. Be effective about getting quality content out in a timely manner but you need not be perfect.
- Batching – For content, for example, it makes sense to record a week’s worth of videos all in one take. That way, you don’t have to set the lights up again.
- Work your schedule around your energy – Some tasks require a high level of creativity, some require less. Schedule them accordingly, on the best time of the day when you can work on them more efficiently.
- Study – Constantly invest in yourself as continuous learning is a process like motivation. This is not a thing where you just listen to one and then you’re done.
My son with his Superfans book copy:
Links Mentioned In This Episode
- Full Focus Planner
- Sweet Brown – Ain’t Nobody Got Time For This
- Subscribe in iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher or Spotify
Help Me Help You Succeed Online
The more I hear from you about your struggles, trials and tribulations, the more I can help. So, be sure to leave comments on this post to reach out to me on Twitter or in the Late Night Internet Marketing Private Facebook Group
Tell Me What You Think
I’d love to hear what you think about the podcast. Better yet, I’d love to answer your question about Internet marketing on the show. Just drop me a line here on the blog or on the digital recorder at 214-444-8655. Don’t worry, there are no stupid questions. Unless you tell me not to, when you ask a question or leave a comment might even use it on the show.
Help Me Help Others
Thanks so much for your reviews on iTunes. We get a ton of exposure from iTunes, and we really appreciate the reviews there. At last count, we were over 100 reviews worldwide and counting. Reviews help us get new listeners — so I really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review on iTunes (link).
Get The Episode Transcript
Interested in the transcript of this episode when it’s ready? Transcripts are available to all of my subscribers. You can find them along with all the other episode transcripts and special bonus content in the Late Night Internet Marketing Podcast Vault (sounds mysterious, doesn’t it?)