Technical issues like affiliate website hosting can often seem scary. They certainly don’t have to be. In this episode, I explain the different kinds of hosting you might choose to use for your affiliate site. If you are just starting out, I recommend you use shared hosting at SiteGround. I’m using SiteGround for several of my sites, and I really like it. We’ll be hosting the new niche site on SiteGround shared hosting, and in this episode I explain why.
My friend and mastermind colleague Ray Edwards published a video this week about why he stopped watching The Walking Dead. We discuss my thinking about why he might be on the right track. During the discussion, I recall one of my favorite quotes:
You are what you are and you are where you are because of what has gone into your mind. You change what you are and you change where you are by changing what goes into your mind.
- Zig Ziglar
Finally, I talk about the increasing importance of mobile for your website.
Next week I’m planning on continuing the niche site discussion, so be sure to stay tuned.
- Internet Marketing News – according to data, mobile devices have, for the first time in history, overtaken desktops as a place to get to the internet. This translates to you ensuring that your website is usable on mobile and that you provide an excellent mobile experience. It also failed to have a ‘mobile first’ strategy. Google will rate your site low if you do not have a responsive site for mobile users.
- The Late Night Niche Site Updates – We decided on our niche (Youth Baseball), we picked a domain name (com), now let’s figure out where our website is going to be housed. Here are things we need to consider:
- What to use to build your website:
- If you are building a site which is simple and needs to be up and running quickly, go with a company like Squarespace. It’s an affordable, no-fuss integrated builder.
- Another option is to build your website on WordPress using the blogging platform, Blogger. You are still using the actual WordPress software so you are subject to their guidelines and restrictions.
- For affiliate marketers, my recommendation is to use self-hosted WordPress. WordPress.com hosts WordPress for you but in the self-hosted version, WordPress.org provides a download of the WordPress software that you can put into your web hosting.
- Four Levels of Web Hosting Service
- Shared hosting – the least expensive but if you have bad neighbors, they can affect the performance of your website.
- Virtual Private Server (VPS) – shared hosting that uses sophisticated software that protects your resources.
- Dedicated Hosting – your site has its own space in the server farm.
- Cloud-based Hosting – multiple computers comprise your website. If one computer goes down, there are still other units which carry your load.
- What to use to build your website:
Here’s that Ray Edwards video about why he stopped watching the walking dead (embedded here for you viewing pleasure).
LInks Mentioned In This Episode
- Ray Edwards Walking Dead Video
- Ray Edwards Blog
- Zig Ziglar
- Article about mobile data trends
- The Divi Theme from Elegant Themes
- Episode XXX on selecting a niche
- Episode 108 On How To Find A Domain Name
- WordPress.com and Blogger
- Self-hosted WordPress.org
Want More Late Night Internet Marketing?
Help Me Help You
The more I hear from you about your struggles, trials and tribulations, the more I can help. So, be sure to leave comments on this post to reach out to me on Twitter @LateNightIM or on the LateNightIM Facebook Fan Page.
I'd love to hear what you think about the podcast. Better yet, I’d love to answer your question about Internet marketing on the show. Just drop me a line here on the blog or on the digital recorder at 214-444-8655. Don’t worry, there are no stupid questions. Unless you tell me not to, when you ask a question or leave a comment might even use it on the show.
Help Me Help Others
Thanks so much for your reviews on iTunes. We get a ton of exposure from iTunes, and we really appreciate the reviews there. At last count, we were over 100 reviews worldwide and counting. Reviews help us get new listeners — so I really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. To leave a review, just go to latenightim.com/itunes and follow the instructions. Thanks!
Affiliate Website Hosting Transcript
I hope you’re having an absolutely fantastic day, as always. Due to some technical difficulties and changes in schedule and all kinds of crazy stuff, I’m actually recording this right after the Chicago Cubs have had an opportunity to win the coveted World Series. They are champions of all of baseball. Congratulations to the Cubbies.
Congratulations to my good friend Matt, who having been a Cubs fan since he was a little kid has finally gotten the opportunity to see his Cubbies win a world title. For Indians fans, I’m really sorry for you, I understand very well how painful this is for you because the Rangers have done their share of World Series losing in recent memory. I’m sorry about that. We were rooting for the Cubs because of my friend Matt, but really have a place in our heart for the Indians too because we have some long range friend and family ties to Andrew Miller, their relief pitcher.
In any case, I hope you guys got to see that game last night, it was absolutely fantastic. I’m tired, but here I am, it’s Late Night Internet Marketing and I’m doing my thing.
I wanted to talk to you about an absolutely amazing video experiment that my friend Ray Edwards is doing over at RayEdwards.com. If you’re not familiar with Ray, he is an awesome guy who is part of the mastermind that I’m always talking about that I’m in with some buddies. Ray has recently started this vlogging experiment. He’s experimenting with some different social media things on his platform, one of them is vlogging, and he has committed to 30 days of vlogging.
He has vlogged before, but the 30 day experiment started this week. His first episode was about how he doesn’t watch The Walking Dead anymore and all of the reasons that he doesn’t watch The Walking Dead anymore. It was a very successful post, it was very interesting.
The reason that he doesn’t watch The Walking Dead anymore sort of boils down to this kind of mental psychology issue, that is that you’re kind of the sum of the things that go into your brain. One of my favorite quotes about this issue is from one of my heroes, Zig Ziglar. A lot of you know the story that when I was 18 I was exposed to Zig Ziglar. That was now around 30 years ago, and I had these actual cassette tapes that I used to carry around in my car and listen to as a high school student.