Need actionable email marketing tips that you can put to work in your business starting today? This week we welcome Terry Dean to the podcast. Terry has been making a living online for over two decades (wow), and is an email marketing expert. Terry offers amazing email marketing tips not only from his own direct personal experience, but also from his many coaching clients.
Terry Dean is a legend. He has been doing the internet business thing full-time since 1996. Better still, Terry has helped thousands of entrepreneurs just like you get started building their online business. A resident of Dunnellon, Florida, Terry is married and has 2 dogs.
One of the things that I love about this interview with Terry is how he authentically shares his own origin story about delivering pizza for Little Caesar’s (Pizza! Pizza). My reaction is that if a pizza delivery guy like Terry can make online business work, then so can you.
In the episode, you’ll find out the three critical elements that should be in every email that you send, and why just delivering massive value is not enough.
The money, truly, is in the list — its true two decades ago and is true today. With 21 years of experience in his arsenal, Terry has tips for us to boost our profits using our email lists. Here are the fundamental things in line with email philosophy:
- To build a list, focus on the audience first. Everything you do, think about your audience. The first thing that you need to have is a lead magnet and this equates to a freebie that you give away to get people to subscribe to your list. Lately, Terry calls this a ‘Free Preview’ as he views that gift that he gives as a bridge to whatever I am offering next. If it is a tennis client, for example, you can give him a free video on how to improve his serve once he opts in, and then give him a link to the first product for sale. Since it’s about the serve, we will give him a product or an item related to that. You offer him the next step after, that’s why Terry calls it the Free Preview. With this simple system, their clients would usually bump their sales up to 30% – 50% within 24 hours. There is no need to warm the prospect up, you ride the momentum.
- Split test. People don’t test nearly as often as they talk about it. Terry would test different affiliate pages to see which ones would sell best. You can have switch three different offers and see which ones resonates best to the kind of traffic in that landing page. When you are starting out, don’t worry about the colors of your buttons or things like that instead, test big things such as main headlines, offers, or prices.
- Once you gain a subscriber in your email list, start sending out emails using auto-responders or broadcast messages. For beginning, Terry suggests auto-responders upfront to establish a relationship. The biggest mistakes that you can do is to send a whole bunch of promos, which can burn your list really fast, and the other one is sending content without promoting anything. The latter is hard to fix in the long run because it’s not going to build you a list that’s going to buy from you. What you want to do is to give value but it needs to be in contrarian in content especially in the beginning. In means that when everybody else is saying X, but I say the problem is Y instead. You will want your content to be contrarian and different with what others are saying and to start off, you can use the ‘rant style’ type of email. It gets your email noticed in the midst of the noisy marketplace.
- For affiliates, the best email that you can send to promote any affiliate program is a case study for their product. Buy their product, use their product, and tell people the results.
- Value is more than just content. It is direction and guidance from someone you trust. Its specific actions that people can take from someone they trust. Have these 3 pieces in your emails:
- The Hooker Story – have a simple story that you can tell to get them interested.
- The Value – give one good tip that someone can immediately use. An email is a short medium so do not make the mistake of giving out to many.
- The Offer – connect, segue softly and give the link to one of your offers.
- It sounds super simple but the biggest truth in email marketing is to have fun, be yourself and be willing to open yourself up to people. You should be having fun with these emails, you should be having fun with your stories and just imagine sitting down and talking to a friend across the table. Don’t try to be anyone else. Become a bolder, outgoing version but still be who you are. Some will love you, some will hate you but the worse they can do is to ignore you.
Links Mentioned In This Episode
Want More Late Night Internet Marketing?
Help Me Help You
The more I hear from you about your struggles, trials and tribulations, the more I can help. So, be sure to leave comments on this post to reach out to me on Twitter @LateNightIM or on the LateNightIM Facebook Fan Page.
I'd love to hear what you think about the podcast. Better yet, I’d love to answer your question about Internet marketing on the show. Just drop me a line here on the blog or on the digital recorder at 214-444-8655. Don’t worry, there are no stupid questions. Unless you tell me not to, when you ask a question or leave a comment might even use it on the show.
Help Me Help Others
Thanks so much for your reviews on iTunes. We get a ton of exposure from iTunes, and we really appreciate the reviews there. At last count, we were over 100 reviews worldwide and counting. Reviews help us get new listeners — so I really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. To leave a review, just go to latenightim.com/itunes and follow the instructions. Thanks!
Email Marketing Tips Episode Transcript
I hope you’re having an absolutely fantastic day. This is Late Night Internet Marketing, where we talk about building successful businesses online, even if you can only work a little bit each night. Today I have a super special treat for you. I finally caught up with Terry Dean after 20 years. I’ve heard about Terry Dean from my friends online, literally since I got started in internet marketing back in 2007.
Terry has been working online since 1996. A lot of people refer to him as sort of a father of online business, or the grandfather. He’s been around for a long time. He’s a relatively young guy, but got started really early. He went from making $8.00 an hour delivering pizza to building a successful business online.
What’s fantastic about Terry, not only does he have a lot of experience coaching people just like you about email marketing, he’s done email marketing work for some really big entrepreneur brands online. So has a vast array of experience. He knows what works, what doesn’t work, and how you can apply those techniques, ideas, and lessons learned to your email marketing activity, even if you’re just getting started.
This is an absolutely fantastic episode for you, full of actionable tips around email marketing. If you’ve been struggling to get your email marketing activities started or you need to take your email marketing to the next level, this interview with Terry Dean is for you.
Before we get started, just in case you are really just starting your email journey, the day this airs (February 16, 2017) ConvertKit is running a free email list building challenge that could really help you out. Even if you’re not using ConvertKit, you’re going to want to go check that out at LateNightIM.com/ckchallenge. Even if you’re a couple of days late or you’re just starting out, go ahead and check that out. They’ll have actionable tips there and things you can do to help get your email list jump started that are going to go perfect with this interview.
With that behind us, I want to get right in to this action packed, information packed, tip packed interview with Terry Dean….