Here we are again. It's been a while since my last episode. This week, we talk about what to do, if like me, you fall behind on your big goals. We also talk about the Google Mobile Friendly update and what you should do about it. Google algorithm changes come almost every day it seems, but this is a big one.
Here are the highlights of the items I have shared in today’s episode:
- The recent Google update that happened last April 21st: what it is, what you need to know, and what you need to do about it:
- What it is: It is becoming more and more true that there is more traffic coming in from people browsing through their mobile devices thereby driving Google’s aim to produce the best possible, most mobile-friendly results to searches.
- What you need to know: This will involve weeding out of old websites which are not properly maintained or are not configured with more responsive designs.
- What you need to do: When you are faced with this search algorithm change, especially if your site comes back as not being mobile friendly, install needed plug ins and listen to my suggested considerations during your conversions.
- 11 Steps for Getting Your Resolution Back on Track:
- Spend some time being introspective and consider the root cause. Why is it that you haven’t stuck with the goal that you said you are going to stick with?
- Leave your past in the past. Those months between January and March are gone, forget about it. Beating yourself up will not get those months back.
- Reassess why you have the goal to begin with. Is your ‘why’ enough to get you to the finish line?
- Reassess your goal. Is it still attainable with the time left?
- Cash in on accountability. Leverage on the people who know about your goal and give them permission to bug you.
- Reinvest in this accountability. Declare your intentions to restart and let them know that you need their support.
- Have a clear plan. Be very clear on the details and understand what needs to happen and when.
- Find time. Block it in your calendar and treat that appointment with yourself like you booked an airline flight.
- Focus on the things you CAN do. Don’t worry about the future thing that you don’t know how to do yet.
- Make sure you got the right environment. It has to be conducive to the attainment of your goals.
- Just freakin’ get started! Stop making excuses and get something done.
Links Mentioned In This Episode
Leave Us A Review In iTunes
Thanks so much for your reviews on iTunes. We get a ton of exposure from iTunes, and we really appreciate the reviews there. At last count, we were at 30 reviews and counting. Reviews help us get new listeners — so I really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. To leave a review, just go to latenightim.com/itunes and follow the instructions. Thanks!
Send us your feedback
As always, I'd love to hear what you think about the podcast. Better yet, I’d love to answer your question about Internet marketing on the show. Just drop me a line here on the blog or on the digital recorder at 214-444-8655. Don’t worry, there are no stupid questions. Unless you tell me not to, when you ask a question or leave a comment might even use it on the show. When the transcript is available, it will be here with all the other Late Night Internet Marketing Transcripts. If you are lovin' the podcast, please be sure to leave us some feedback and subscribe in iTunes! Podcast Alley is another option: My Podcast Alley feed! Here is the Raw RSS Feed.
Episode 088 Transcript
I’m back. I know you missed me, people have reached out to me and I appreciate it. We’ve been here before, I’m not going to spend a lot of time talking about this. Thanks to all of you who gave me shoutouts in the last couple of weeks wondering where I was. Big talk about all this progress that I plan to make in 2015 and I haven’t made a lot of it.
We’re going to talk about how to handle that if this is happening to you. If you are a person who made goals in January of 2015 and you’ve just completely fallen off the wagon, it’s a train wreck for you, you’re not making it happen, you’re not getting it done, it’s so bad that you don’t even want to think about it; I’m going to help you get started again in this episode.
The Recent Google Mobile Friendly Update
First, I want to tell you about the recent Google update on April 21st that probably a lot of you heard about. That was just a couple of days ago, as I record this.
Yoast reports that he is already starting to see some data that indicates that this is a big update, that they are heavily weighting this mobile factor with regard to website ranking. It’s something that you need to know about. It’s pretty simple from what we know about it right now to take care of it, at least for first order, but let’s talk about what it is and what you need to do about it.
If you’ve spent time with Google Analytics, if you’ve been in this for any length of time at all, you probably realize that more and more it is becoming true that people are accessing your website through some kind of mobile device, whether it’s an iPad, a Samsung Galaxy, an iPhone 6, or whatever it is. Those users are coming to you.
If you’re not used to this, if you simply installed Google Analytics on your website, after a period of time when it collects some data, it will tell you what the user agent is that’s coming into your site. That’s a fancy word that talks about what the website browser is and you can tell from that whether it’s a mobile device or not. Google will tell you all of this information through Google Analytics.
If you’re not running Google Analytics on your site, I highly recommend that.