I love a good Affiliate Marketing Success Story as much as the next guy (or gal). But this story is a little different. Blogger and affiliate marketer Brady Cole is on the show this week to tell how he was able to parlay his pharmacy blog into an unexpected source of income. Brady is a great friend and this is a cool story that should motivate you to take action on that idea you have been thinking about.
Affiliate Marketing Success Story Show Notes
Brady started listening to LNIM to get some ideas about affiliate marketing for the website that he wanted to start and we began the process by sitting down to test the commercial viability of his idea. We convinced each other to pick a different niche after weighing in the details. As he was writing posts in Facebook about pharmacy tips to help friends out at that time, we saw that this has a potential to be a good blog. Brady has an unfair advantage because he is a pharmacist who really went to school and such so he has special knowledge that others do not have, thereby, if he turns this into a blog, he would have a wider reach and can help a lot more people. With this, he settled into this niche and arrived with his blog, the Helpful Pharmacist.
The next things we delved into are the challenges:
- Monetization – There was potential to his blog but products which pharmacists recommend mostly do not require a website for you to purchase them and they are usually inexpensive so he saw some limitations there. Putting up ads won’t have a lot of dollar potential either. But he knows that this blog will be something that he will be proud of and the knowledge that he is sharing things which a lot of people can benefit from was enough to get him going even without the money. After some time though, he started reaching out to people and he learned that they do not just contain themselves in their blogs, they post in other publications and share their stuff all over the place. When an opportunity presented itself where he got invited to write in a magazine, Pharmacy Times, he grabbed it and it became a way to distribute content while making more money. The blog has opened up doors for him further as he was able to get backlinks to his site and build more authority to his site.
- Time Constraint – Then there’s the challenge in terms of putting out content frequently since Brady has a job, a family and other commitments to allocate his time to. Every time he puts out an article, he receives great feedback and people are sharing his articles so this makes him want to do more.
- Conflict of Interest – As Brady works for a company selling pharmaceuticals, the possible reaction of his employers also got him worried as they might view this as conflict of interest. He met this head on by sending a letter to his direct supervisor and their director making them aware of his activities before publishing his very first article. He received no responses but because he was transparent, he felt confident in moving forward.
Brady has been doing this for about a year and a half now and he would want to continue putting articles out to help more people, find a way to make more money from the website, and even venture into possible speaking gigs. He is working on consistency in writing more articles and would want to urge everyone who is looking at doing the same to take action. He had close to zero experience in terms of technical abilities going into this and a lot of things he learned were gained from simply listening to the show so he shares that it is not as hard as it sounds. Creating a website and managing it can be done by anybody. So if you have a good idea, run it by other people who will tell you the truth and once you have validated it, go for it!
Don’t let ambivalence delay you or it may delay you forever. Take bold actions today!
Links Mentioned In This Affiliate Marketing Success Story Episode
- Helpful Pharmacist Blog
- Thatfirst Pharmacy Times article.
- Brady on Twitter
- Brady on Facebook
- Brady’s Bio in Pharmacy Times
- The “Bring Your Own Weather” article.
- Rate this podcast on iTunes
Want More Late Night Internet Marketing?
Help Me Help You
The more I hear from you about your struggles, trials and tribulations, the more I can help. So, be sure to leave comments on this post to reach out to me on Twitter @LateNightIM or on the LateNightIM Facebook Fan Page.
I'd love to hear what you think about the podcast. Better yet, Id love to answer your question about Internet marketing on the show. Just drop me a line here on the blog or on the digital recorder at 214-444-8655. Dont worry, there are no stupid questions. Unless you tell me not to, when you ask a question or leave a comment might even use it on the show.
Help Me Help Others
Thanks so much for your reviews on iTunes. We get a ton of exposure from iTunes, and we really appreciate the reviews there. At last count, we were over 100 reviews worldwide and counting. Reviews help us get new listeners — so I really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. To leave a review, just go to latenightim.com/itunes and follow the instructions. Thanks!
Affiliate Marketing Success Story Transcript
I’m so very excited about today’s interview. I’ve been wanting to do this for so long. My very good close and personal friend Brady Cole is in the house.
When I say that, a lot of times I talk about my friends that are my online friends that I’ve made because of my online business. Brady is the flip of that. Brady Cole is a friend who was my friend before he was doing anything with online business. He saw the kinds of things that I was doing online, he started following guys like Pat Flynn, and he decided to start a blog about the thing that he knew about.
Brady is a pharmacist. When he looked out there he saw that there were a lot of pharmacy blogs that were for other pharmacists, but he didn’t really see any pharmacy blogs that were for helping consumers. As a manager of a big pharmacy with lots of years of pharmacy experience, he knew that he could get information out there and help people with their day to day medical needs that were pharmacy related.
So he started HelpfulPharmacist.com and has started to monetize that in some very unexpected ways. We’re going to talk about his journey and what I want you to listen for today is some things that will inspire you to take action in your journey. I’m going to tell you, if Brady can do it starting from nowhere, you can do it too. We can do it too.
Let’s hear from Brady…