I always see the same question over and over in the forums. I just answered this question today on Warrior, and thought I should add it here for completeness.
Question: I am new to internet marketing, and I want to know how to get my new web page to rank in Google.
Answer: This is a big question. Here is the “simple” way to think about it.
There are 2 things to consider — on-page SEO and off-page SEO. On-page factors are factors like the title of the page, the headings, the keyword density, related content, etc.
Off-page SEO really means how many pages of authority are linking back to you. Think of these as votes of for your site.
So, here is what you might do (simple rules):
- Make sure your keywords are in your page title tag
- Make sure your keywords are in your heading (H1) tags
- Make sure your keywords appear on the page
- Get sites to link back to your pages using your keywords as the anchor text (the part that you click on).
- Make sure your description tag (this is the text that shows up in Google) includes your keywords and calls people to action. The description SELLS your page to people.
Remember, you are not competing with Google. You are competing with your competition on the search engine results page. Look at what they are doing and do it better.
If you do all of that, you will be off to a good start.