So many people ask me about getting started online. This week, I've decided to try something completely different. Dave Stokley from NicheVirgin.com contacted me out of the blue to tell me about his new project — documenting his online journey from the start. I thought that was a cool idea, especially since that is essentially how I got started with MasonWorld.com (which in now this blog). So, I give some tips, share some insights and tell some stories that I hope will help people that are just getting started online.
First things first — One lesson to learn here is that Dave just took bold action and contacted me out of the blue and asked to be on the show. The worst thing that could have happened to Dave is that I could have said no. But instead, I needed an excuse to get back on the mic, and Dave wanted to do something that I thought would be valuable to my audience (that would be you guys).
Fun topics that we cover on this episode:
- Dave is a smart guy with a degree in Chemical Engineering and a law degree. I that way, he is a lot like me when I stated — a technical guy without marketing experience.
- Dave asked where I am now. I talked about the fact that “I'm no Pat Flynn” but I am headed in that direction. I have a day job, and that makes me different from a lot of guys out there that have to pay the bills. I usually don't talk about income numbers, but I do describe the various ways that I make money online (AdSense, Affiliate sites, etc). I talk about sites that I have shared publicly that make between $5 – $100 per month, etc. I started with MasonWorld.com — now LateNightIM.com (this blog).
- Dave talks about the fact that getting started has been a major obstacle. Lots of uncertainty, fear, etc. I talk about how I got started with Garry Conn, Josh Spaulding, and Sterling and Jay. I just started following and interacting with those people.
- Mindset was discussed, including my interview with Dr. Jones last year. It's it nature or nurture? We discuss limiting belief in that context. Who cares what you have to say? Do you fear failure? Do you deserve to have money? Is money evil? There are lots of limiting beliefs that can completely kill you when you are getting started online.
- Avoid bright shiny object syndrome. Keep your wallet in your pocket.
- You can get everything you want in life by helping enough other people get what they want.
All this and more. Hope you enjoy the show.
Leave Us A Review In iTunes
Thanks so much for your reviews on iTunes. We get a ton of exposure from iTunes, and we really appreciate the reviews there. At last count, we were at 30 reviews and counting. Reviews help us get new listeners — so I really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review.
To leave a review, just go to latenightim.com/itunes and follow the instructions. Thanks!
Send us your feedback
As always, I'd love to hear what you think about the podcast. Better yet, I’d love to answer your question about Internet marketing on the show. Just drop me a line here on the blog or on the digital recorder at 214-444-8655. Don’t worry, there are no stupid questions. Unless you tell me not to, when you ask a question or leave a comment might even use it on the show.
When the transcript is available, it will be here with all the other Late Night Internet Marketing Transcripts.
If you are lovin' the podcast, please be sure to leave us some feedback and subscribe in iTunes!
Podcast Alley is another option:
Here is the Raw RSS Feed.
Episode 076 Transcript
This week on the Late Night Internet Marketing Podcast we turn everything completely upside down. I’ve got Dave on the line from NicheVirgin.com and he’s going to interview me. It’s kind of crazy, I know, but stay tuned because you’re going to love it. All this and more on the Late Night Internet Marketing Podcast.
Notes from Mark…
Long time, no hear. I’m back and hopefully I’m going to be back for awhile. I thought to kick things off before we get back on track with the stuff that we were talking about last month I wanted to do something a little different.
I get a lot of email, as you know. I don’t get to answer all of them. I try to, but I’m not good at it so I don’t get them all answered, but I try.
I got an email from this guy Dave, and he told me that he was starting a new website about his internet marketing journey and he wanted to interview me for my podcast and ask me a bunch of questions from the perspective of a new internet marketer that was just getting started.
I thought it was a great idea, because I think there might be at least one or two of you out there that are in that position and you’re relatively new to internet marketing. Maybe this is the first time that you’ve listened to the show. Maybe you have some of the same questions as Dave.
Dave is starting a site called NicheVirgin.com and he is going to do some internet marketing and then talk about the internet marketing that he does on NicheVirgin.com. He’s just getting started; he has the site set up with email capture on it, it looks really nice and he’s done a really good job for a guy who is just getting started.
I thought I’d help him out and maybe help you guys out at the same time by addressing some topics about getting started. Topics like what would I tell my younger self when I was first starting online, who did I follow, how did I build relationships, what do I think about some different things around mindset.
If those topics are of interest to you, stay tuned because you’re in for a real treat here.