It’s a special Thanksgiving Day episode of the Late Night Internet Marketing Podcast. This week I finally catch up with John Lee Dumas from Entrepreneur on Fire to get his views on what it takes to achieve success in business. We discuss everything from the strategic superiority of US Army Tanks to what it takes to make it in business as a solo entrepreneur today. You can really hear the passion in John’s voice when he talks about his latest “passion project” — which is launching in January. Dumas also takes some time to offer candid advice to listeners that are struggling to make it happen on line. You’re going to love what John has to say in the interview.
Highlights of the things that John and I share about success in business in the episode:
- A Prelude: The John Lee Dumas Story. From zero to hero, JLD started as a regular guy like everyone else before he became the super man that he is right now. He is very relatable and approachable and though he is incredibly successful in his chosen field right now, it wasn’t always that way. You have to realize that this kind of success can attained by you as well!
- We start off with a gratitude for John’s service in the US military and moved on to inquire if, after interviewing over a thousand entrepreneurs, it is still possible at this day and age to go from no one to a big someone.
- The one common behavior he had observed from the entrepreneurs he had interviewed that he felt set them apart and made them successful: they know how to set SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time Bound) goals and accomplish them.
- John gives an example of how setting goals and accomplishing them had manifested for him as well. He goes through each step in the SMART goal setting process and discussed how he applied this in building Entrepreneur on Fire.
- The quote that he always goes back to when he doesn’t know how to get from point A to point B: If you want to be, do.
- What he has to say to folks who still thinks they can never be like one of the greats.
- The biggest lesson he learned from being an officer in the military that he was able to use in running his day-to-day business: the Parkinson’s Law.
- John shares about The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson, a powerful book for entrepreneurs about doing small things right every single day.
- Did John get to drive a tank when he was in Iraq? Can 4 tanks take over the world? How accurate are tanks’ shoots? Listen to this section for interesting tank talk!
- Lastly, what John thinks as the one thing which can spell the difference between success and failure.
- About the Freedom Journal What’s next for JLD and the Entrepreneur on Fire.
Connect with John Lee Dumas:
Links Mentioned In This Episode
- Very cool PDF Download from Michael Hyatt mentioned in the episode.
- John Lee Dumas at Entrepreneur On Fire
- The Freedom Journal, John’s passion project
- EOF 1165 with Mark Mason (will air around Dec 31, 2015)
Leave Us A Review In iTunes
Thanks so much for your reviews on iTunes. We get a ton of exposure from iTunes, and we really appreciate the reviews there. At last count, we were at 30 reviews and counting. Reviews help us get new listeners — so I really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. To leave a review, just go to latenightim.com/itunes and follow the instructions. Thanks!
Send us your feedback
As always, I’d love to hear what you think about the podcast. Better yet, I’d love to answer your question about Internet marketing on the show. Just drop me a line here on the blog or on the digital recorder at 214-444-8655. Don’t worry, there are no stupid questions. Unless you tell me not to, when you ask a question or leave a comment might even use it on the show. When the transcript is available, it will be here with all the other Late Night Internet Marketing Transcripts. If you are lovin’ the podcast, please be sure to leave us some feedback and subscribe in iTunes! Podcast Alley is another option: My Podcast Alley feed! Here is the Raw RSS Feed.
Episode 092 John Lee Dumas On Success In Business Episode Transcript
This week on a special Thanksgiving Day edition of the Late Night Internet Marketing Podcast we have John Lee Dumas. I waited months for this interview (you have to schedule him way in advance).
All this and more on the Late Night Internet Marketing Podcast….
Today (when this episode goes live) is Thanksgiving Day. I hope that you and yours are having an absolutely fantastic Thanksgiving. If you’re not in the United States and you’re in a country that celebrates Thanksgiving at another time, like Canada, or you have another holiday that is equivalent to Thanksgiving where you sit around and count all the stuff that you’re really thankful for, I hope you’re having a fantastic day. I hope you take time to think about all of the things that are in your business that you’re thankful for or the things that are around you. That can be very motivating and really help you get going.
I wanted to tell you I have this great interview for you today from John Lee Dumas. Before we get into that, I also wanted to tell you we’re making big plans here at Late Night Internet Marketing for 2016. I’m trying to make it the best year ever for the podcast. I’m planning to use a product that I’ve used before to help me get going into 2016 by Michael Hyatt called Best Year Ever. It’s a really good goal setting product.
If you want to learn about marketing, one of the things you can do is follow Michael Hyatt. Michael uses a version of what we call the product launch formula in the internet marketing industry, where he releases really valuable content prior to the launch of a product. He does this every year. He just put a PDF that I think you should download and read, you can get that at LateNightIM.com/hyattpdf.
If you sign up and get this PDF what you’re going to get is this sort of amazing collection of these 30 high achievers that share their top strategies for achievement. This is really good going into the new year. Maybe there’s a thing or two that you can pick out of there. I’m kind of blown away by the access that Michael Hyatt has to people and the way he’s able to synthesize information. I think this PDF is worth your time downloading.
Just so you know, this is an affiliate marketing and internet marketing kind of show, Michael is eventually going to sell this product called Best Year Ever sometime in December. People who download this PDF, if they subsequently buy the product, the commission for that sale is going to go to that person. If you use my link to download this PDF, I’ll end up getting a commission. That’s how affiliate marketing works.
One of the cool things about Michael is he actually trains his affiliates, people that sell his products, to be completely transparent about that fact. I would do that anyway, you guys know that’s how I roll, I only promote products that I actually have used in the past and really enjoy. For this, I’m not even talking about the product yet, but we’ll probably talk about that in subsequent episodes because I’m actually going to use it this year. I would strongly encourage that you go to LateNightIM.com/hyattPDF and grab this PDF, it won’t cost you anything and I think you’ll like it.
That gets us to the John Lee Dumas interview. For those of you that don’t know the John Lee Dumas story, John is just a guy – we call him JLD. He’s sort of a famous guy now, hundreds of thousands of dollars a month at Entrepreneur on Fire now, a huge podcast, a podcasting membership site, all kinds of amazing success. This came from a guy who started from zero. It wasn’t like he was some special guy with special talents, he was a guy who started out saying, “I want to figure out how to make a living running an online business,” a lot like a lot you. That’s why I love this interview for you guys, because John was just a regular guy before he was Superman. I think he’s somebody you can relate to. He’s still very normal, very approachable, a super nice guy. Now he’s incredibly successful, but it wasn’t always that way.
I think it’s important for you to see these kinds of examples in that context so that you can understand that you can have that kind of success too. Without further ado, let’s get into it with JLD, John Lee Dumas from EntrepreneuronFire.com.